The Cholsey & Wallingford  Railway

  The Bunk Line - Home of the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway Preservation Society 

Lion 13030-D3030-08022

Built at Derby works 13030 entered service in October 1953 at Old Oak Common shed just outside Paddington Station. With a large number of diesels appearing during the 1950’s the early shunters, that had 5-digit numbers, were prefixed with a “D”.


In August 1964 D3030 moved to Reading for a short spell before returning to Old Oak Common in November 1964. The loco was reallocated to Shirebrook West in July 1967 before moving transferred to Knottingley Shed in May 1973.


The locomotive was again renumbered in February 1974, this time to 08022. The locomotive’s final move to Tinsley Shed on the southern edge of Sheffield came in August 1977 and its service life finished in on 17th March 1985, when it was finally retired from British Rail.


08022 found its way to Swindon Works to be scrapped but the need of Guinness at Park Royal to replace an ageing pair of Hibberd shunters[1] lead to the purchase a pair of Class 08 locomotives. After repainting in black with a giant harp, the well-known Guinness symbol, added to the front radiator and with the brass nameplate “Lion” added at Swindon Works the pair of shunters (08022 and 08060), moved from Swindon to Park Royal on 20th July 1985 as 9X90, passing through Cholsey Station.


Unfortunately, a run down in rail traffic, found 08022 surplus to requirements and on 30th August 1998, it arrived at Wallingford Station.


[1] One of which, “Carpenter” is also here at Wallingford, the other ‘Planet’ being at Quainton



Back to locomotives and rolling stock